Saturday, November 16, 2013

Disfigured man embraced by Pope Francis: "I felt only love."

I can't forget this image.


The pictures of Pope Francis embracing a man suffering from neurofibromatosis have made even the most cynical of religion pause at a man who seems to be the polar opposite of his predecessor (whatever did happen to that guy?). 

My Twitter pal @HolaBrody found an Italian-language interview with the man embraced by the Pope, but I've been unable to find anything in English. I tried plugging the article into Google Translate, but the English-language results were horrendous. Using it to translate from Italian to Spanish, however, wasn't as bad. 

A couple of very moving excerpts from the interview with him: 

"I tried to speak, but nothing came out. I was too emotional."

"The Pope was not afraid of me...he hugged me."

"I'm not contagious, but he didn't know that...when he touched my face, I felt only love."

No comments:

Post a Comment